Looking for a bookI went on a little hunt today. A Kindle hunt in fact, looking for new authors and new books to read as my Kindle needs a recharge. As I follow so many authors I thought it would be an easy assignment, but alas I was seriously frustrated. I clicked on either the blog or website link from the Twitter profile of a number of authors I am following and except for a very few, I was shocked at the number of times I had to hunt to find a link to Kindle for the writer’s books. Many times I just gave up in sheer frustration.

I say shocked as in really quite pee’d off and somewhat annoyed in fact. I wanted to sample some new authors and from there buy some books. But if authors are going to hide their books, well, sorry, you just missed out on a sale. So as I don’t offend anyone in particular, I will say that I finally found six authors that know how to do it, so I have downloaded samples to read. But this was from more than twenty authors I tried.

Book Selling 101: If you have a book to sell, make sure you have links to your Kindle or Smashwords ebook on the front page of your blog or website so people can buy your book. I am patient and probably more so than most visitors, but don’t expect potential readers to go on a treasure hunt for your book. They won’t. If you have so many books published that you need to list them in a separate page, all well and good, but perhaps think about having your latest book on the home page.

Another annoyance in my hunt. All well and good having the first chapter to read on an author’s website, but with no link at the end of the preview is just sheer lunacy. Sorry, but I struck this more than once on my hunt today. There were also one or two that I would like to have sampled, but were not available in ebook versions. Now, for these I’m sorry I couldn’t download a sample. Purists you maybe, but the world is changing.

End of rant, but the moral is. If I can’t find your damn book, I can’t buy it.

So, Where’s Your Book Then?

31 thoughts on “So, Where’s Your Book Then?

• 24/09/2011 at 3:56 pm

Makes sense – and seems like common sense. That was one of the first things I did when my book came out was put a widget at the top of my right nav bar with links to Kindle, Smashwords and Amazon PB. It gets about 10 percent of my overall blog traffic clicking through to one of the links, so I figure it’s working fairly well.

• 24/09/2011 at 4:06 pm

In my own case I’ve got the Search Amazon. com thingy plus the Goodreads link halfway down the right hand side of my blog oh great and grumpy one. LOL :D

• 24/09/2011 at 9:37 pm

Just to give anyone a great big hint, I’ve added the full book cover for my Sci-fi Space Opera “Onet’s Tale” at the top of the page on my blog, right above the Search Amazon gadget. Now all anyone has to do is type the title shown and they can find both the Kindle version and the paperback. :)

• 25/09/2011 at 1:04 am

Hi Jack!

I did not see a link on your front page (or any other page) that takes people directly to your book’s Amazon page. You are losing sales because of this, no doubt about that.

You put God only knows how much time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears into getting your book from idea to published. You went to the effort of setting up a blog, maintaining it, adding content, and doing whatever to get folks to come visit. After all of that you don’t give your potential customers any opportunity to buy your wares. No, you make them type in something into a search box to go look for it.

How many sales have you lost because of a typo? How many have you lost because they searched for something completely different from what you hope they’ll search for? How many have you lost simply because “OMG, too much effort… don’t want this book that bad”.

You need to make it as easy (and foolproof) as possible for people to buy what you are selling.

Do you see what I’m getting at, mate?

Kind regards,
        Steve

• 25/09/2011 at 11:58 am

Steve,

I’m a dummy when it comes to things electronic. Give me a step by step set of instructions and I’ll add that link in a trice.

Cheers,

Jack

• 25/09/2011 at 12:20 pm

Never mind Steve, I’ve figured it out by accident lol :)

• 25/09/2011 at 3:31 pm

I’m glad you got it sorted out Jack, because I don’t know the first thing about blogger (I’m a WordPress guy).

• 24/09/2011 at 4:09 pm

One day, when I have a book of my own to sell, I’ll be sure to put it on the front page! It seems obvious, but I guess there are many folks out there that just aren’t getting it. They go through all the trouble of promotion on Twitter and such with BUY MY BOOK postings and then bury the damn thing so no one can find it. Such a waste.

• 24/09/2011 at 6:00 pm

Mine’s on the front page! But thanks for this timely reminder to the group of us. At one point I worried it might be too aggressive to promote myself so boldly, but thanks to your post, I’m glad I’m doing it right. :-)

• 24/09/2011 at 9:10 pm

I’ll let you know as soon as my first book is out. It’s now being formatted and I’m waiting for the cover design.
    PS. Thank you for all your help via this site!

• 25/09/2011 at 2:27 am

Excellent advice, Derek! While I doubt you were looking for romance, I was guilty of putting links and images only in the “stories” tab. Now on front page top of sidebar. ingenius. :)

• 25/09/2011 at 2:49 am

Clearly you don’t follow my blog as I learned this lesson some time ago by a commenter who complained about this very thing. But don’t buy my book, at least not the one on Kindle now. I am fairly certain you’re not my target audience and would very much dislike it.

• 25/09/2011 at 9:32 pm

Well, you never know. I have very broad tastes. I might just take a peek. Just in case you’re wrong Karen :)