I want to be an author
I have been asked a number of times recently if being a writer is a rewarding activity. Well, this got me thinking and I’ve decided to do what all good bloggers do. Make a five reason list. So let’s get right on with it.
1. Anonymity. Being a writer gives you the freedom to go anywhere you like without being recognised and swarmed by groupies and autograph hunters. I mean, what do Stephen King and JK Rowlings look like? I bet they don’t get bothered at the grocery store.
2. Poverty. Unless you are fortunate enough to be dead, very few writers actually make enough money to feed themselves. This is a good thing because it keeps a writer focussed on the important things in life, which are the heart and soul of writer’s tool kit. Anxiety, depression, failure and lost opportunity.
3. Time. Writers are so lucky. They spend so little time actually writing that they have oodles of time to think about things a lot. You could imagine that this may have a philosophical aspect to it. But normally it is more alcoholic that philosophic.
4. A Thick Skin. Writers develop a wonderfully thick hide, as criticism becomes so breathtakingly normal that it has no effect whatsoever upon them.
5. Loving readers. Yes, all writers have their following of loyal readers who all happily lend each other copies of their books and tell you how wonderful you are. It is just a pity that books don’t self-combust after one read. It would help royalty payments considerably.
So when do you start your new career as a writer?
15 thoughts on “5 Great Reasons To Become A Writer”
Amazing, Derek. I loved it. I have a lot of writer/reader friends and I'm sharing these witty words of wisdom.
Great list, Derek!
More alcohol, please.
I love it, especially that poverty thing.lol
Great list. I will share it as well. I think this is me so I won't quit my day job…yet.
You have done it once again Derek! You've managed to put your thoughts and feelings together in a productive and witty fashion.
As per usual, a very enlightening and enjoyable post. :)
Bang on target my friend. However you left out one thing – obsession. If, like you and I, writing comes before everything else, obsession or the need to totally focus on that next manuscript is everything. :))
I adore this, what an amazing way to tell the truth.
It's always darkest before dawn
Oh you crack me up (even though it's 97% truthful). What I love most is that other lists give us 'Five Good Reasons' – you cut to the chase and give us 'Five GREAT Reasons'!
I'm going to have to hang this by my desk for those days when I keep asking, 'Tell me again why I'm a writer??'
Thank you Linda. I left out number six about being masochists. Didn't want to put people off writing! :)
Oh, I'm feeling #3. In Russian, the words for 'tea' and 'hope' are easily confused if you're new to the language. So I guess you could say that I have nothing in my house right now except tea/hope. Either one would be accurate.
I laughed out loud. This is great! Who wants celebrity or money when we can have a thick hide and loving readers. :-)
Thank you for a great Sat morning read – i think we all need to laugh at ourselves and our (miserable) existence as writers…or else bad things can happen!
As a hermit – I wouldnt know what to do if I was a famous rockstar-like celebrity with millions of adoring fans…ok, but maybe a COUPLE of adoring fans would be nice…and I wouldnt turn down the opp to ‘hang out’ with a partially clothed Captain America and Green Lantern….Other than that – yes, anonymity is my fave thing on your list. My longsuffering husband WISHES that JK Rowling aura would descend upon me and eliminate the POVERTY feature of being a writer. ( hes got his dream car all picked out for when i hit the big time. Dnt hold yr breath darling)
Enjoying your writing.
Your no 5 had not occurred to me till I became a fiction writer. The keenest fans seem to be the keenest lenders, telling me of their long waiting lists for my novel. And I was horrified to
learn of a book club who buy one copy only and pass it from hand to hand.
Am so excited to make it official! Yes, yes, this is what I want to do!
Comments are closed.