I’ve written before about how important a blog is nowadays. Especially if you are a writer, poet or book reviewer, a blog is where you can express yourself and get your message out to readers. But how do you get more visitors to you blog?
There are literally 1,000s of articles on the Internet about increasing blog traffic, however most of these concentrate on getting visitors from search engines by using SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). For those of us on a literary bent, this method will rarely succeed because who is going to search for the title of your book? Secondly, you’re not going to want to fill your blog posts with SEO keywords such as, iPhone, iPad, Get Rich Quick, and cute puppies. So you need a different approach. Here are some tips.
- Above all else, write interesting and relevant content and post regularly. Keep it short though as the Internet is about instant gratification, so a post of 2,000 words will rarely be read to the end by most visitors. 300 – 500 words is about the right length for a standard, everyday blog post.
- Use social media to make people aware of your blog. Probably very obvious, but make sure your blog URL is on every profile you have on the Internet. The most important is to have a Google profile.
- Always offer an easy way for readers to subscribe to your blog with one click. An orange RSS button at the top of your blog works best. It’s amazing how many blogs I visit that don’t make it easy to subscribe. After hunting for 30 seconds or more, I just give up and they just lost a potential subscriber.
- Add the RSS feed of your blog to Twitter and Facebook so that every time you post, it is automatically sent to your accounts.
- Don’t waste all your old posts. If you write them well and make them ‘ageless’, which means that they are not about dated events or material, post them again on your social networks. They may be old posts to you, but to your new followers, they are new material. This is one of the best ways to bring new readers to your blog.
- Use Bookmarking sites such as Digg, Stumbleupon and Delicious to find new readers.
- Add an RSS feed of your blog to your Goodreads Author Page. I get a lot of traffic from this feed.
- And lastly, reply regularly to the comments you receive on your blog, and also comment regularly on other blogs that are in your niche. Blogs that offer you the option to add your own blog post to your comment can really bring more visitors to your own blog.
Building a great blog with steady traffic takes time, so be patient. But with patience and bit of effort the rewards will come.